Reviews

'As always, it was sheer pleasure to observe Robin Hill's remarkable fluent technique: everything looks easy when he plays it.' Colin Cooper- Classical Guitar Magazine ----- 'Wonderful for their (Hill & Wiltschinsky) precision, touch and clarity of sound... refined virtuosity, the achievement of a long interpretive process.' Il Giornale D'Italia (Rome) ----- 'I loved your CD and thought your technique and performance were fabulous...' Rick Wakeman

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Musicians 'Big Brother'...

There is a lot of talk at the moment about 'Big Brother' and the controversy it is causing. Reality t.v. seems the curse of modern day living.
With access to endless programmes of this type, it should be no surprise that there are concerns about the future of classical music. (Not that I necessarily agree with this, I think we just have to learn how to appeal to a new generation with new technological skills..)
However, it got me thinking.
What would happen if there were a 'musical' version of 'Big Brother'.
Basically, you lock a bunch of musicians up in a house for a week. They could come from completely different backgrounds, classical, jazz, rock etc.
You then sit back and see what happens.
My guess is that there would be much more going on that would actually be worth looking at.
One problem would be that certainly the classical musicians would spend most of the day in their room practicing scales etc. which may just drive the viewing public mad.
Jazzers would 'chill' for most of the day, but be hugely entertaining late into the night, and rock, well, who knows, it would depend who was in there.
The only guarantee would be that musicians just can't help 'jamming'.
So once practice was out of the way they would be sure to spend their relaxation time, well, playing their instruments.
That part could prove very entertaining, especially if you throw a bottle of wine into the mix.
I've no intentions of suggesting this to any t.v. executives, I just thought that to have people on television that could actually do something would be a refreshing change.
I hope this has all made sense, but there is a huge racket coming from this house today.
Son number one has turned 10, and currently has 5 friends over for a sleepover.
Robin, incidentally, is off out this evening playing, leaving me alone with all 7 children until sometime after midnight. I shouldn't complain though, he did take them all to see 'James and the Giant Peach' this afternoon.

4 comments:

Andre said...

I think this is a great idea, and I would definitely tune in... which I don't today to the current programme.

You could have a money-spinner on your hands with this idea, Anna.

Anna said...

Thanks Andre,

Maybe I should rethink contacting some t.v. company!
Any thoughts on which musicians you would like to see?

Anna

Marie said...

It sounds like a great idea. It's certainly more entertaining to watch people that are actually good at something.

Thanks for visiting my blog, Anna.

Anna said...

..and thank you for visiting my blog!
I seem to have had a lot of interest in the 'Musicians Big Brother' idea and so far it has all been positive.
What started off as just a rambling thought should maybe be revisited...