Reviews

'As always, it was sheer pleasure to observe Robin Hill's remarkable fluent technique: everything looks easy when he plays it.' Colin Cooper- Classical Guitar Magazine ----- 'Wonderful for their (Hill & Wiltschinsky) precision, touch and clarity of sound... refined virtuosity, the achievement of a long interpretive process.' Il Giornale D'Italia (Rome) ----- 'I loved your CD and thought your technique and performance were fabulous...' Rick Wakeman

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Stolen Identity

Since I last posted, which was only Tuesday, Robin has settled into life on board Crystal Symphony.
He has spent a day at sea, then enjoyed the pleasures of Grand Cayman, before returning to sea again.
He is doing plenty of practise in preparation for his concert on Saturday, but also, enjoying the wonderful weather. I know this as a call was interrupted to apply further suncream and prevent burning.....

Meanwhile, here, I have been involved in a case of stolen identity.
My alert system informed me of a mention, somewhere in cyberspace, of the Hill/Wiltschinsky Guitar Duo.
I followed the link, as I normally do, just to check it out.
I was therefore amazed to find what appeared to be a blog.
The title was one of mine, the entry was one of mine, all the content was mine, but the author had an entirely different name.

Someone, somewhere, had gone to the trouble of creating a page, adding my blog entry, making a links section, contacts etc. to give the illusion that they were writing about the duo.
I won't give them the satisfaction of a link to show you what I mean, as I'm pretty sure there are dubious and unsavoury connections, but the original post from me was written back in January 2007.
This was my version, 'Accidents Happen: Part 1'.

Why they should choose this particular entry I have no idea.
Why they should choose Hill/Wiltschinsky I have no idea.
Why they should choose me I have no idea.

The internet is an amazing and informative tool when used correctly. It has opened up the world in a way that wouldn't have even been dreamed of not that long ago.
But like most advances there is a downside.
It isn't always as it appears.
This 'stolen' blog would appear authentic to anyone who hasn't visited the official site.
They could therefore follow many of the links to read further, only to find themselves taken to pages very far removed for a classical guitar duo.
I assume the owners of this page get something out of it.
But I didn't like to linger too long, once I realised what had happened, for fear of some contamination/virus.
This occured a few weeks ago, and I haven't had any problems, so I assume they must get some sort of financial reward for clicks on their links.

The reason for telling you all this.
Well, just to be aware that things aren't always as they seem.

No comments: