'As always, it was sheer pleasure to observe Robin Hill's remarkable fluent technique: everything looks easy when he plays it.' Colin Cooper- Classical Guitar Magazine ----- 'Wonderful for their (Hill & Wiltschinsky) precision, touch and clarity of sound... refined virtuosity, the achievement of a long interpretive process.' Il Giornale D'Italia (Rome) ----- 'I loved your CD and thought your technique and performance were fabulous...' Rick Wakeman

Friday, April 27, 2007

Just a Clumsy Phase - I Hope....

This is where being a regular reader has its rewards. You are privy to backstage information that the audience would have been totally oblivious to.
If you recall, Robin's last concert on the QE2, for this trip anyway, was on Wednesday.
Whilst still in his room making final preparations to go to the theatre, Robin decided his right hand thumb nail required some reinforcing, this is done with super glue, or, special nail glue.
There was only 20 minutes to go until the recital started, so he was already changed, and ready for the off.
Applying glue to a tiny part of the nail is a difficult procedure. When Robin is at home, I am occasionally called upon to assist, by holding a tweezer or squeezing the 'exact' amount of glue that is required, onto 'exactly' the right spot. It is always a rather tense time because if you get it wrong, it is then a lengthy and frustrating operation to remove the glue with cheap nail varnish remover.
Robin is, however, very adept at doing this, and deftly applies the correct treatment, one handed if necessary.

So there he was, alone in his room, and somehow he managed to spill the glue - all over his left hand.
As he frantically tried to remove it, he managed to glue himself to the G sting of the guitar....
By this stage there was only 15 minutes before the performance and the audience were already taking their places.
Little did they know that the artist was currently 'stuck' to his instrument.
The only thing to do, was to literally, pull his finger off the string.
He was then left with the dilemma of changing the string, which had bits of glue attached, or just to pick off as much as he could.
This is a bigger problem than you imagine.
To change a string minutes before a concert is a tuning nightmare. They need a few hours to be played in.
He opted for the, 'pick as much off as he could', route.

No need to worry though.
He put his professional head on and delivered an excellent concert. So good in fact that he was recalled twice to take a bow.
Unfortunately on the second exit he managed to walk straight into a piano - no permanent damage was done, to either of them.
I hope it's just a clumsy phase he's going through....

No comments: