Reviews

'As always, it was sheer pleasure to observe Robin Hill's remarkable fluent technique: everything looks easy when he plays it.' Colin Cooper- Classical Guitar Magazine ----- 'Wonderful for their (Hill & Wiltschinsky) precision, touch and clarity of sound... refined virtuosity, the achievement of a long interpretive process.' Il Giornale D'Italia (Rome) ----- 'I loved your CD and thought your technique and performance were fabulous...' Rick Wakeman

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Richard Wright - Pink Floyd - My Thoughts

Like many people around the world I was shocked, and saddened, to hear yesterday of the death of Pink Floyd's Richard Wright. You can read David Gilmour's tribute here.

Richard Wright was one of the founder members of Pink Floyd and wrote, or contributed, to many of Floyd's classic tracks.

Music has the ability to evoke many memories, feelings and emotions.
For me, 'Dark Side of the Moon' is a seminal album, which has influenced me my entire life.

As a child I recall hearing this album drift up the stairs as my Dad listened, late at night, and then as a teenager, enjoying it with my friends.
It is a recording that we still listen too today.

Two of my favourite tracks on the album were written by Richard Wright.
The first, 'The Great Gig in the Sky', and also, 'Us and Them'.
It is actually with an ironic comfort that the opening words spoken on 'The Great Gig in the Sky', now come back to me:

"And I'm not frightened of dying. Anytime will do. I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying. There's no reason for it. You've gotta go sometime."

I hope that over the coming months Richard's family will gain comfort from the words he wrote back in 1973.
This track is incredible, and features the soaring voice of Clare Torry.
Rumour has it that she was given little information about the track, and just asked to improvise.
She recorded her part very quickly, and was in the process of apologising for her performance, when she was greeted by the stunned amazement of all present in the sound room.

Although Richard may have left us, his musical legacy will live on.
As I have already said, I learnt to love Pink Floyd through my Dad's influence.
When I told my 11 year old son about the sad news, his first reaction was to break into song, with the words, "The lunatic is on the grass," (Brain Damage).
So the baton has already been handed on.
Pink Floyd will be enjoyed for a long time to come, and are already contributing to the memories of the next generation.
What more could a musician ask?

No comments: