Reviews

'As always, it was sheer pleasure to observe Robin Hill's remarkable fluent technique: everything looks easy when he plays it.' Colin Cooper- Classical Guitar Magazine ----- 'Wonderful for their (Hill & Wiltschinsky) precision, touch and clarity of sound... refined virtuosity, the achievement of a long interpretive process.' Il Giornale D'Italia (Rome) ----- 'I loved your CD and thought your technique and performance were fabulous...' Rick Wakeman

Monday, July 14, 2008

A Song, A Soprano, and A Book

Where's Izzy Cooper when you need her?
Robin is currently working on a few arrangements for the concerts in August.
They are sounding great, but there is a problem.
He keeps seeking me out, and asking me, to sing the soprano part.

The problem is, I'm not a singer.
By any stretch of the imagination, I am not a singer.
I'd love to be a singer, and have tried recording various songs of Robin's, over the years.
And he has always, very patiently, manned the recording equipment, before playing back the 'take', and trying to disguise the nervous tick that starts to develop.

But I am trained to observe, and I also have ears.
I can hear that I am no singer.
I can also see the flicker of pain as it crosses the sensitive musician's face.
That's OK though, we got past all that years ago.

So today, as he asks me to sing some parts for him, he is under no illusions, and neither am I.
Basically we are checking that the notes are all in the right places...
The children have escaped to another room and the dogs have their paws over their ears.

Actually, I'm doing myself an injustice.
I'm not that bad, as non-professional singers go, I'm OK.
But Robin has spent parts of his career working with some incredible singers, Pavarotti, Russell Watson, Madeline Bell, etc.
So my 'singing round the house' style just can't compete.

Luckily, I'm not trying to make a living out of it.
I have however just completed a book.
A whole book, from start to finish, written.
I still have some editing to do, and the small matter of getting an agent and publisher, but I won't let that spoil the mood.
It's not everyone that can say they have written a book...

No comments: