Reviews

'As always, it was sheer pleasure to observe Robin Hill's remarkable fluent technique: everything looks easy when he plays it.' Colin Cooper- Classical Guitar Magazine ----- 'Wonderful for their (Hill & Wiltschinsky) precision, touch and clarity of sound... refined virtuosity, the achievement of a long interpretive process.' Il Giornale D'Italia (Rome) ----- 'I loved your CD and thought your technique and performance were fabulous...' Rick Wakeman

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Test Drive a Microphone With Legnani

It has been an experimental day and one in which I have been acting as an unofficial sound engineer.
We have been sent a matched pair of microphones to try out. So, off Robin went to the studio, to see what he could do.
He played Caprice No 33 by Luigi Legnani over a few times, and then went for a take, and another one, and another one, etc. (Incidentally, Legnani was Paganini's guitarist).
We played them back and as yet haven't made a decision.
At one point I asked him to play along with the freshly made recording so I could compare sounds.
As I was listening it struck me that if Robin was having difficulty matching his playing exactly, whilst watching the sound waves on the monitor, then it would be virtually impossible for someone else to try and mimic that performance. Yes I am referring to the Joyce Hatto scenario.
The fate of the microphones hasn't yet been decided, although I suspect they are not the ones.

No comments: